Monday, October 15, 2007

Desperate Swiss Wife tries to buy a mobile phone (English)

On August 23 (a day to remember :-) ), I tried to buy a portable phone
abonnement with free phone included. Well, the emphasis is on TRIED...
I had chosen the Virgin Mobile 19$-Cap including the Nokia 6300
(featuring a tremendous 2 MP Camera...). But to subscribe, you need to
produce a whole bunch of docs to prove identity, financial ability,
worthiness of owning a mobile phone etc. etc. and there is a list which
shows the score of possible docs (for example driving licence, passport,
gas invoice, rental agreement...) and you have to score 100 point to be
allowed to subscribe. Now, as in our case, there are not enough of these
docs issued in my name, I cannot get a mobile phone with abonnement. It
is the same with all providers and I think it's quite a scandal. I hate
to get humiliated like that.

Finally, we bought a Virgin Prepay-Card, which - hold on tight -can be
purchased without giving any identity (as it is well-known that the evil
guys never ever use prepay phones...). But this is not the end of the
story: My Nokia 6230 rejects this SIM-card. The card works fine with
Steven's "historical" Nokia and also with the brand-new phone of the guy
in the Nokia-Care-Center. My phone is fine with all the other
Aussie-SIM-cards they tried there...
It seems to be a really mysterious phenomenon -even to the Nokia people,
because - although promised - they haven't given any news for over a
month now. Hopefully, they aren't troubleshooting according to "out of
sight - out of mind"...

No comments: