Monday, October 15, 2007

Australian Reptile Center (English)

On August 22, we visited - still during National Science Week - the
Australian Reptile Center in Gold Creek Village/Northern Canberra.
There, we had again the chance to touch a python (I like this more and
more!!!) and finally, we also observed the venimous species of Aussie
snakes. Strangely, the most venimous ones are the less colored (on the
opposite of what we are usually used to in wildlife). But as the expert
there told the people not to forget: Even the venimous snakes aren't
deliberately mean animaly. You have to provoke an incident or maybe to
be really unlucky to get bitten by such an animal.
I was impressed to see 2 snakes presumably "knotted" for rest in a tree,
so I asked the expert, if it happens that the others fall off the tree,
when one snake decides to leave the "knot". As you can imagine, this
doesn't happen, but I learned, that there are pythons up in Queensland
that let themselves deliberately fall of the trees. What a surprise on a
rainforest-walk (but I guess you have to be really "lucky" to assist
such an event...)

As we had come for the first time to ACT's North, we drove a bit through
the area of Gold Creek/Ngunnawal. Nice houses, artificial lakes, but
barely trees so far and not much of an "ambiente". These suburbs came
out of nothing during the last few years and tend to be "sleepy subs".
Not really the place I'd like to live... (pardon me, I might be a bit
spoiled...)

No comments: